market-farming - [Market-farming] Introduction, and question about herb tags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wendy's Produce" <info AT wendysproduce.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Introduction, and question about herb tags
  • Date: Sun, 9 May 2010 19:32:52 -0500

Hello, everyone. We're glad to have found this group. We are Wendy's
Produce out of Kinson, Alabama (waaaayyy down south - any more and you hit
Florida). I attended Paul and Alison Wiediger's high tunnel workshop in
Clanton, Alabama a couple of weeks ago and heard about this list. Best use
of weekend time I've had in a long time :-)

This is our second year of growing for market. We have about 3 acres
planted in the standard southern market crops, and will be at the Poplar
Head market in Dothan and the market in Troy this summer. We're a couple of
software type people who came into this both for a desire for a change and
the current economic times :-) While we are not organic, we try to use
minimal impact chemicals and sustainable methods.

During the workshop, Paul mentions about selling herb transplants in small
pots. He said he uses colored labels for the herbs I'm looking for a
source for these. I figured I'd get 3 things done with one post - introduce
us, ask Paul about the tags, and see what other people use :-)

I'm really enjoying this list - already had some great information come
though. It reminds me of the "old days" of te internet where information
was shared, no spam. I'm looking forward to digging through the archives.

And to all our fellow growers in Tennessee, our thoughts and prayers are
with you. Hang in there!

--
Lloyd Robbins
Wendy's Produce