market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 87, Issue 42

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 87, Issue 42
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 09:06:44 -0700 (PDT)

>> We're thinking of planting strawberries in a high tunnel using black
>> plastic on the beds to cut down on weeds but I'm wondering if the beds
>> will get too hot in the summer. I guess white plastic is an option
>> too.

I attended the Ecofarm conference in California a few years ago and we did
a farm tour of a huge strawberry operation. No tunnels, California and
all, but plastic with holes cut for each plant was the norm. They were
using different colors of plastic to regulate the harvest....black red
green and grey....My concern was although organic you could see literally
miles of plastic. I asked what happened to it, and the reply was that it
deteriorated yearly and was "thrown out". So much for sustainable!
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics where it's
finally sunny and warm