market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] filling flats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] filling flats
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 11:02:52 -0400

Tom

I use a domestic plastic dustpan to scoop and dump out potting compost/starter soil on top of flats sitting on a big kitchen tray. The dustpan holds more than hands or trowel, and can then be used to scrape across the top and level the compost. I have made a couple of dibble boards to press down the compost and make holes for seeds. I used short sections of skinny plastic pipe held onto the board with long dome-headed screws, set at the appropriate spacing for the plug flats I'm using.

>Tom asked:
For example, how about something simple like filling the cells with starter mix?
Right now I'm just scooping the damp mix on top of the cells and using my hands
to work it around and into the cells, trying to get them all filled and
slightly packed, without losing a lot off the edges in the process.? There's gotta be a faster and better way to
do this. How do you all do it?<

Pam, Twin oaks, Louisa, VA