market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market 'ownership

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market 'ownership
  • Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 18:27:58 -0700 (PDT)

>> I am just curious who is responsible, i.e. who get the profits from
>> your farmers market? Is it the vendors, a committee, the city or
>> government entity?

Our market is a not-for-profit organization of farmers/crafters. We would
have loved to become a 501 non profit but coming up with the $500
application fee has been prohibitive. We have an elected board of
directors who are responsible for overseeing the management of the market,
these are all volunteers who in some cases have put in literally thousands
of hours of personal time for the benefit of the market. The market
manager is paid a paltry $50 per week, or not even minimum wage. The city
takes $400 a year for "rental" of the city parking lot. After advertising
costs, insurance, nursery fees etc. there really is no profit for the
market itself.
If there's any surplus it is reinvested in the market. We have operated
this way for 30 years. Sora in Paradise Valley who has
finally
resigned from the Board after 10 years.....

  • Re: [Market-farming] Market 'ownership, sora, 04/09/2010