market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Deer fence and control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Deer fence and control
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 18:18:12 -0500

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 04:59:30PM -0400, Lynn Wiblin wrote:

> I have been lucky enough in my lifetime to possess a dog that did hunt rats
> in the greenhouse and barn(she was black lab/germansheperd, God rest her
> soul) and also another who would go into rat, mole and snake holes after
> the critters!(Thank God dogs are immune to most snake bites-I didn't know
> this from the start-my vet told me (after the dog was bitten and had killed
> the copperhead) that dogs have a natural immunity, but will swell up just
> from the puncture wound caused by the bite-so It was recommened to just
> give her benadryl to bring the swelling down(and keep her airway from
> swelling shut). I never saw the dogs eat any of the varmints-they just
> killed them and then carried them to me for approval, which there was
> plenty of!:)

We had a dog die of a rattlesnake bite quite a few years ago. At that
time, our vet told us many dogs survive snake bites to the head because
blood circulation in the head is relatively poor and that bites to the
body and limbs are much more likely to be fatal.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 18 days 12 hours 13 minutes