market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Trimming Leeks and onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Zachary Mathes <zwmathes AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Trimming Leeks and onions
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 13:16:24 -0500

 "From the abstract:

       "Leaves of a portion of the seedlings were cut back either one month
before transplanting (75% defoliation) or at transplant (25%
defoliation)"

75% defoliation?? Good grief, I never cut mine back anywhere near that
hard. I'm not surprised that set them back.

The 25% sounds more like it; but that was done at the same time as
transplanting. I don't cut them back when transplanting, either; I
figure one major shock is enough for one day."

Totally agree.  75% is too much remove at once, and pruning on transplant day is an equally bad idea.  This is just bad science.
Has anyone run trials side by side to compare trimming to not trimming?

-Zac Mathes