market-farming - [Market-farming] Thinking about GAP

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Thinking about GAP
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 17:59:43 -0500

Greetings,

I have been thinking about the rules of GAP and wondering if any danger actually exists on my farm. Thinking back to the older days, when microscopes were rare, the way to test something, to find out if it was poisonous, was to feed it to an animal. If the animal lived and stayed in good health, then it was not poisonous. However, if the animal got very sick and died, it was.

Now, the e-coli strain that has everyone scared is nasty, and I seem to remember something about dog food recalls due to e-coli and insufficient cooking temperatures. I may be mistaken, but I do believe that the nasty strains of e-coli would make a pair of elderly dogs very sick. If this is true, then I can prove my rabbits don't have the nasty strain of e-coli. All offal from my rabbits is fed to my dogs. One of them, my black lab who is now 15 years old, almost died at age 7 from eating commercial dog food. But, both my dogs are the picture of good health. Since they eat the intestines where the e-coli exists, I can only conclude that my rabbits do not constitute a public health danger, in any way. Therefore, their manure can not be a public health danger.

Do I make any sense or am I out to lunch?

Bright Blessings,
Kim

  • [Market-farming] Thinking about GAP, Garth & Kim Travis, 03/16/2010