market-farming - [Market-farming] other interesting readings from my notes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] other interesting readings from my notes
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 13:00:44 -0500

while searching through my notes I found this on horse-manure heated hotbeds:

"Every January, a 3.5-foot tall wooden “hot bed” is heaped almost to the top with fresh horse manure from the stables. It’s tamped down, watered and layered with six-inches of soil, then mixed into it. The heat of bacterial decomposition warms the soil, so in April they plant warmth-germinating vegetables in it. They cover it when temperatures drop. It is, in effect, a heated propagation bed using a natural source of heat."

and then this on growing in general: (especially like the "manure" tea recipe in November in which to soak beans for 24 hours before planting...wouldn't our ag/health depts have a hay day with that!!)

http://www.history.org/history/teaching/enewsletter/volume5/images/mrs_logans_calendar.pdf

and then this, which reminds me of the recent past discussions of horns in biodynamic planting, wonder if this gave rise to that technique/belief (section B, paragraph 12 or 13):

http://www.history.org/history/cwland/resrch13.cfm

Liz

  • [Market-farming] other interesting readings from my notes, Liz Pike, 03/01/2010