market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Storing Garlic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Storing Garlic
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:10:53 -0600

The guy I bought my seed garlic from had a nice, though simple, setup for curing his garlic. He had an overhead trellis (but not a very tall one--about 5 1/2' tall) built in his pole barn. Two of the structural members of his barn walls served as two of the side "walls" of his trellis and then he positioned two additional posts out toward the center of the barn. Then he finished out the frame of the trellis with additional 2x4s to frame out the sides of the "ceiling" of the trellis. Then he just used lattice or maybe even a section of hog panel fencing to make his trellis "roof". There may have been some support pieces to hold up the trellis roof. He then used the top of the trellis to tie his garlic bunches to. He had a high velocity fan running in the barn to assist with air circulation. The barn had some small windows, too.

--Leslie / Oklahoma