market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett (Allan.Balliett)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Chambers <jachambe AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] article by Allan Balliett (Allan.Balliett)
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:42:00 -0600

Allen, great article, and fascinating topic.

As they say on the radio call-in shows, "long time listener, first time caller."  I've been lurking here for quite some time, soaking up everything possible to help me get started market gardening this year.

I'm sold on the principles of soil minerals and their relation to soil health.  Do you have any recommendations on how to get started for a true beginner?  I plan to get soil samples as soon as my field thaws and have them analyzed, but after that, how do i get from where I am to where I want to be?  Are there any resources out there to help me choose soil amendments for specific crops, how/when to apply them, etc?  Or is it more a matter of trial and error and learning lessons through the years?

Thanks!

John - a greenhorn looking forward to spring in snowy central Illinois

Message: 4