market-farming - [Market-farming] Testing manure/compost with Solvita Kit

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Shafer <cs13 AT cornell.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Testing manure/compost with Solvita Kit
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 09:16:47 -0600

Having just relocated to the sunny south, I'm finding the most common compost resource down here is horse manure. I can get fairly large amounts free for the hauling from the upscale horse stables in the area. Most farmers, however, seem to put minimal effort into managing on farm composting, and I'm concerned about the maturity of what I put on my land. I'm looking at the Solvita test kit (produced by Wood's End Labs) that I found recommended in an Extension pamphlet as a quick home testing option. Has anyone here worked with these. Is it worth the $48 investment?
Carla Shafer
Earthly Goods Farm
Pleasantville, TN
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
          ~ Margaret Mead

  • [Market-farming] Testing manure/compost with Solvita Kit, Carla Shafer, 02/05/2010