market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] lyme disease--Dr recommendation!!!!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT horseshoegardens.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] lyme disease--Dr recommendation!!!!
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 12:47:39 -0500

Having a daughter with chronic lyme's, I know what y'all are going through.  If the disease weren't bad enough, throw in a disbelieving ex-spouse and doctors, and I nearly pulled my hair out trying to figure out why she wasn't recovering from "mono" months after she should have.  I argued and begged for new tests, and though everyone agreed they'd never seen mono with these symptoms before they could not be convinced to look at alternatives.  I didn't even consider Lyme's until a friend recognized the paralysis and urged us to get her tested. Niki had had Lyme's when she was 5--textbook bull's eye rash/fever/2 wk course of antibiotics.  I knew from the research I'd done back then, that if it resurfaced in the late teens it would most likely create permanent chronic health issues (I also knew that lymies can test positive for mono).  So, a friend who's an RN snuck home a lab test for her to take, and when the test came up positive, the drs finally relented to testing her for Lyme's and those tests came back positive.  The bacteria had been in her at least 3 years so we never found out if it was a reoccurrence or from a new bite.

We spent the next year (she had to drop out of high school halfway her senior year) going back and forth to the wonderful drs at the Jemsek (http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/index.php) clinic located near Charlotte, NC (they've recently opened a clinic in DC too!).  She was on 8 different antibiotics, doing a "shake up" routine so the bacteria wouldn't get resistant.  She slowly began to recover and did go on to finish high school & go to college, but she was never the student she was before all of this happened (from straight A's to brain-fog C's was totally demoralizing to her).  She still has major issues with fatigue, brain fog and aching joints.  She's 21 now and after major trouble this winter with her knees, she's scheduled for testing for rheumatoid arthritis.

If you're near Charlotte or DC or can get there, I highly recommend the Jemsek clinic!!  http://www.jemsekspecialty.com/index.php

Liz