market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Weed control Advice?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Weed control Advice?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 10:26:50 -0800

I had a similar problem with yellow nutsedge. It took me all of 15 years of
constant vigilance to get it under control. The cruel joke of nature is that
when you eliminate nutsedge nature will send you something worse...
I have read many articles on controlling weeds by changing their growing
conditions to be less favorable to the weed. Unfortunately weeds and
vegetables share the same growing needs. Who ever writes this stuff never
actually farmed in real life.
Though its not pretty I have learned to tolerate a certain level of weeds and
harvest a good crop. Weeding can easily become a full time job that pays
nothing in return... Bob.

I farm two parcels, the second of which, was left in weeds by the landowner
for 5 years. Yellow nutsedge is rampant, but through tillage and tine
weeding we were able to make a dent in some areas that looked like a lawn 1
month post tillage. I try to make my cultivation "to do list" by
thinking temporally, how will I tend this crop from start to finish.
Here is a great hand tool I picked up at a local hardware store that
could be used on small areas:
http://www.amleo.com/index/item.cgi?cmd=view&Words=gk2

This tool mimics a tine weeder that costs $2000, yet is cheap enough to
use in the garden and modify (cut out tines for crops to fit between). They
also make a narrow 9" model to go between rows.
I always go out after freshly tilling/planting and scrape a fingernail
in the soil. If I see a little "white thread" of a seed germinating, we get
in there ASAP and tine weed. Prevents alot of costly labor dollars and time
wasted on hand pulling or hoeing.
I probably could go on forever, but timely use of the wheel hoe,
colinear hoe, 3 tine cultivator (johnnys seeds) are a great way to go.
Hope this helps.
Tom Kumpf, Raleigh, NC
Double T Farm