market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Lyme Disease

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Lyme Disease
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:51:53 -0500

On Jan 30, 2010, at 10:27 AM, <sunnfarm AT netscape.com> wrote:

Lyme disease is epidemic in NJ. yet little is said about it. All the so called preventive measures don't work very well. On my home farm I have never seen a tick in 25 years yet there is no shortage of deer and mice. I attribute it to low level pesticide residue and pesticide drift into the woods and grassy areas. I have another 8 acre farm 12 miles away without pesticides and you can not even walk 100 feet across a close mowed lawn to the mailbox without getting a tick.

I doubt that the pesticide load is the only factor; Road's End has not had pesticides applied since some time in the 1970's and while we do have some ticks in the brushlots (the dog collects them occasionally, and once in a long time I find one on a cat) I have never gotten a tick myself on mowed lawn, unmowed lawn, unmowed fields, or cultivated fields; or even in the woods.