market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] how to set up a CSA program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] how to set up a CSA program
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:58:17 -0500

First, get the book “Sharing the Harvest

Second, there is at least one listserv devoted to CSAs – join send e-mail message to listproc AT prairienet.org stating "subscribe csa-L (your e-mail address  though this one has been pretty quiet. I’d advise you search Yahoo Groups for others.

While you are waiting for the book, look at

http://www.biodynamics.com/csa.html

http://www.wilson.edu/wilson/asp/content.asp?id=804

This UMass site has a list of resources: http://www.umassvegetable.org/food_farming_systems/csa/resources.html

I did a small CSA with boxes taken into town 2 years and quit for a year. Now I do a larger CSA with distributions at the farm. I lay out essentially a farmstand and tell them how much of what they can take (8 items off the cuke/yellow squash/zucchini/patty pan table) – it gives them choice. They love it and so do I.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru, NY

Farm Fresh Food Club CSA - http://rhomestead.com

Garden fresh vegetables, organically grown, and pastured chicken, duck, and geese

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe