market-farming - [Market-farming] Black Garlic Receipe

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lorri Mason <lorrimason AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Black Garlic Receipe
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 21:56:55 -0500

Okay, I found this on a koren blog

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:44 PM
Domestic Goddess, on Apr 15 2009, 09:40 PM, said:
Mallet, they slow cook it here in Korea and they have a special pot/gadget to do it. There's a lot of black garlic products sold on the home tv shopping here. I'll ask my korean friends how do they make their own black garlic.

Thanks, I'd really appreciate it!

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:58 AM
I found this recipe for Fermented Garlic, also known as Black Garlic(I have not tried this yet):

Making Fermented Garlic

Soak the whole garlic in water for two hours until its skin gets soft and is easily peeled.
Soak the garlic overnight.
Peel the skins.
Place the garlic on a perforated sheet until it is dry.
Pack the garlic into the containers.
Pour the pickling solution, consisting of 4 tablespoons salt, 2 cups sugar, 2 cups vinegar,
over the garlic and press it.
Ferment the garlic for two days, then drain the pickling solution
Add ½ cup sugar to the pickling solution, bring it to boil, let it cool down,
pour it back over the garlic and let it stand for 1 month.
Finished product, fermented garlic

I am thinking that either black vinegar from the Asian market of Balsamic should be used instead of the above vinegar, hence the color black.