market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Recommendation for pH tester and soil block maker

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom@TomsGardens" <tmcd49740 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Recommendation for pH tester and soil block maker
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:01:38 -0800 (PST)

--- On Tue, 11/24/09, Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca> wrote:

> First, I was considering to buy an electronic pH meter.  Johnny's has
> one made by Hanna for 100$.  I am hoping to get more accurate reading
> results than strip test kit, and save in the long run.  Are there
> anybody who own such a meter, and can comment on accuracy, durability
> and ease-of-use?  Any recommendation?

If you are going to buy a pH meter, you might do well to check science supply
houses where you will likely find a better price. For example, The Lab Depot
is selling a Hanna pocket pH meter for $71.96 right now. The Cynmar
Corporation is another supplier of reasonably priced scientific equipment.
Hanna also makes a less expensive series called Checker meters that sell in
the thirty dollar range, and can also be calibrated. My guess is that they
would be accurate enough for soil work and I am ordering one for myself.

I've used these in my high school chemistry classes and they are very easy to
use. Be sure to buy a bottle of 7.00 buffer solution (and maybe a 4.01 too)
so you can calibrate the meter and get accurate results. Check out the link
below for a method to follow in testing the pH of your soil.

http://njaes.rutgers.edu/pubs/publication.asp?pid=FS767

Tom