market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Winter Growing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] High Tunnel Winter Growing
  • Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 07:33:55 -0600

This is an interesting idea for heat - taking a hotbed and expanding
the idea to an entire tunnel. The biggest issue I could see is salt
buildup. High tunnels typically are covered the entire 4 years (or
more) that the plastic lasts, and there is no rainfall to leach salts
downward. Even using animal manures in just amounts necessary for
fertility can cause salts to buildup over time.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm, SC KY