market-farming - [Market-farming] Spinach Question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Spinach Question
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 21:39:31 -0700 (PDT)

How come the big things never cause the trouble, it is the little things that hurt so bad!

Planted early spinach, ate off my grasshoppers in high tunnel.  Replanted, covered with row cover and have been harvesting for 2.5 weeks.   The problem is Aphids.  I did not see them last week, or the week before.  I discovered them when I started washing my spinach to sell tomorrow.  Right or wrong I triple washed everything and then went through it all one by one and made sure I washed all the aphids off. I had 5 pounds, it took forever, but I have a good product now.

Is there anything I can do for my plants to eliminate these aphids?  I am not opposed to spraying, but I have made it this far without it.

I live in North Central Kansas, the spinach in growing in a high tunnel under row cover and we had a freeze last weekend.  I have broccoli growing outside of the building 8 feet away. Inside the building the spinach is the far left bed, then to the right is a bed of lettuce, then a bed of Cherry Tomatoes and finally on the right is a double row of peppers. Any ideas?

Thanks!