market-farming - [Market-farming] Irrigation Quesion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Citheronia AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Irrigation Quesion
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:36:38 EDT

Hi all!

I am relatively new to this forum....learned a lot and this is my first post. We currently own some orchard land and raise poultry, but we're hopefully getting into vegetables next year with a 5 acre plot we recently acquired.

Here is my situation: our 5 acre plot is approximately 300x 700 deep. There is no municpal water supply at the road and no other water source such as a creek, pond, or existing well. I am curious as to your thoughts for an irrigation source. Do you typically drill a well or wells with pump houses, or is there another method that y'all use. If you are using wells, is it more economically viable to run electricity to the pump houses and have the irrigation on timers, or would gasoline powered pumps run for an hour or two be better?

I apologize if this has been discussed in the past. I've searched the internet and practically everything that I've read assumes you already have a water source. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Randy Lyttle
North Rose, NY
Citheronia AT aol.com