market-farming - [Market-farming] Small farm exemption

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: <Rayne.Pegg AT usda.gov>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Small farm exemption
  • Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:35:07 -0400

Dear Ms. Rayne,

I am hopeful that you and others promoting the National Leafy Greens Marketing Agreement mean well. It is also my hope that you will consider the negative impact that such legislation will place upon the very small farmer. It has been heartening to see a growing movement of increased numbers of individuals that are eeking out a modest living or at least augmenting their income with the sale of produce. CSAs and other consumer direct sales should be promoted and not hamstrung by burdensome paperwork and fees. By the nature of small direct sales the consumer knows where their produce came from and the name of the person that grew and sold it to them. This in itself encourages the farmer to be extra careful in the growing and handling methods. If in fact there was a problem it would be minimal and readily traceable as compared to large corporate production facilities. I once was an Organic certified grower and elected to discontinue certification because of the onerous reporting requirements.

When you are already working seven days a week from o-dark to o-dark you don’t need any extra work.

I understand that the closest meeting to me will be in Columbus OH for personally discussing this legislation. I along with many will not be present due the time factor and economics of traveling to this site. Please don’t interpret our lack of attendance and the presence of representatives of larger corporate entities to mean that we are any less interested in this matter than they.

I would appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Thanks,

Farmer Breck

Breck Carden

Carden’s Garden

2400 E Hwy 22

Crestwood, KY 40014-7704

breck AT breckcarden.com

www.breckcarden.com

  • [Market-farming] Small farm exemption, breck, 09/21/2009