market-farming - [Market-farming] Setting up a contract for tomatoes next year

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Setting up a contract for tomatoes next year
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 06:38:43 -0700 (PDT)

It is funny how some things can seek you out.  I had a customer at my market last night who works in the dining services at  Kansas State University ask me about selling them tomatoes.  He told me he has been buying tomatoes from me all year and thinks they are the best and I have the highest quality.  He was interested in wanting to know if I would grow tomatoes and sell them to the dining services.  They had a contract with another grower in the area, but they were not happy with them and they were not able to supply them this year.  They were going to give me a call and we would have a meeting to discuss a contract.  He was not sure about how many pounds they would need a week.

I know nothing about contracts or setting things like this up.  I have been growing and selling at Farmers Markets for 5 years now.  I would like some advice on how to set this up.  I know I could grow them.  I would be growing the tomatoes in a high tunnel.

Thanks,
Jay