market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] saving, growing, selling seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] saving, growing, selling seed
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 09:51:53 -0400

True but how is one to make sure there isn't a patented gene in the mix unless you have a pretty sophisticated lab and extensive resources to determine it isn't?  Even if there isn't one an Ag corporation could claim there is if it came from their seed and unless you can definitively prove there isn't the courts would probably side with them.  At the very least they could harrass you to death.  Of course they would have to have found out what you did.   It seems unfair to have to hide what you did legally but that would still be the best policy I would think.  Its still risky.

>I think that approach, using backcrossing to adapt a >hybrid to your specific production region, is legitimate >and legal, unless their are patented genes involved. >Patented varieties and patented genes are quite different. >Once you use classical breeding to change a patented >variety, the offspring are no longer that variety, hence no >longer covered by the patent. Unless, of cours, the >offspring have a patented gene in their genetic profile."

>Bill

Walk on the well placed warmth of radiant heating. Click now!