market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] watermelon variety

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] watermelon variety
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 10:02:56 -0400

On Aug 13, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Owsley lucy wrote:

I don't know of any red fleshed small/fridge type watermelons that are heirloom.

On Aug 13, 2009, at 7:59 AM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

Having done trials of watemelon varieties since the early 80's, I can tell you that if there are any "personal-sized" heirloom watermelon varieties, they must be rare.

Seed Savers Exchange lists (in the regular catalogue, not just the exchange) Small Shining Light; which I haven't tried, but it sounds good. And I do like Blacktail Mountain and Fisher's Far North, though I don't know if either of them qualifies as an heirloom; Blacktail Mountain was bred by Glen Drowns and Far North by the Fisher family seed company.

But those do all indeed qualify as "rare"; though Seed Savers is listing both Blacktail Mountain and Small Shining Light in quantities up to 2500 seed. Even Fisher's doesn't list Far North this year, they may not have had enough crop to sell seed.

I have no idea how any of these would do in a greenhouse.