market-farming - [Market-farming] Untreated Seed Corn sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Untreated Seed Corn sources
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:35:36 -0400

Anybody know good sources of untreated seed corn?  I've tried a couple of places that said they could as long as I ordered early enough but both kept sending me treated even though I ordered back in the middle of December.  I'd send it back and they would send me more treated until they told me it was too late to get it and I wasn't happy about it.  I ended up having to order Polka, an early synergistic corn, from Johnny's and though its good the ears aren't the huge nice package of the late corn people expect and most won't try it though its better than everybody else's around here for flavor.  The ones that have tried it say its the best around but getting them to try it is difficult.  I sell a lot in Yellow springs, a liberal college town near here as the other people selling corn spray with chemicals and I don't as I'm transitioning the land to organic but the country market is a whole different story.  Fingerling potatoes same story, sell out in Yellow Springs and sell none in the country although some have bought my Rose Finns when their kids thought they were cool because they thought the potatoes looked like little monsters LOL.  Hey as long as I don't have to compromise my principles I'll take a sale any way I can.  Johnny's has Montauk sweet corn but its extremely expensive!! I'm looking for synergistic or triplesweet corn both white and bicolor.  I ordered Avalon and Serendipity, good corn but doesn't do me any good unless I can get a reliable untreated source.  One with an organic treatment like Johnny's Natural II is even better but I'm not pushing my luck.  I got Polka treated with that and it came up in pretty cool soil.  I'll probably order Polka again as it is an excellent 67 day corn, very good, about as sweet as one would want and keeps very well but I'd like to use it only for the early season as I'd really like to get one with a more attractive package as its hard enough competing with an established chemical farmer who everybody has been buying from for the last 40 years even if his corn isn't as tasty.  Luckily he only sells sweet corn so I'm getting the other business

Remove unsightly stains with high quality carpet cleaning. Click now!