market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] composting hay

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Mark Abner" <wizard1 AT ctsbroadband.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] composting hay
  • Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 17:36:08 -0400

well for me its kind of be guess and begosh but you can be more scientific
there are usda tables that give aproximate nitrogen and carbon content for
varous matierals so you could se up a formula based on those number on a
spread sheet if you feel the need. Manure has a lot more nitrogen than
carbon and hay has a lot more carbon than nitrogen so I go with about 25%
manure to 75 % ( by weight ) hay mulch and then add one of the other if the
mix dont start cooking right in about a week.

Mark