market-farming - [Market-farming] Adding a new Market day during the week

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Adding a new Market day during the week
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 12:13:33 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question. In my home town we have a Market on Saturday mornings.  It is very well attended and is my main market.  Most of my profit comes from this market. As the president of the market group, I spoke at a recent Chamber of Commerce meeting on Wednesday morning.  Since that time I have have been contacted several times by business people and customers about having a market on Wednesday also.  Today at our market I conducted a simple survey.  Would you support a market on Wednesday night?  All but one of the replies was yes.  We have a city wide band concert every Wednesday night at 8:00 and we were thinking about having a market from 5:00 or 5:30 til 7:30 at the park where this concert is located.  It is two blocks away from where we are selling on Saturdays.

My questions are as follows:

1) Will this take away from our business on Saturday morning?  Example if you sell $100 on Saturday.  Now will you now sell $50 on Wednesday and $50 on Saturday?

2)  What happens when there are only a few vendors who could make this market?  I am one of the larger vendors.  I already go to another town and sell on Wednesday.  I would stop going to that market and stay home.  It would save me 1.5 hours on the road a week and $$$ in gas.

3) Does adding a market day during the year make sense?  Are we just chasing the money?

4) Would it be ok to only have a Wednesday Market during the busiest times of the year?  For example, July and August?

If you can give me any ideas or suggestions about this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jay