market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market prices?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT myfairpoint.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market prices?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:09:26 -0400

I really have a hard time pricing summer squash. I tried $.75 each for them. If they are small, people complain that is too much for them. I also have a very hard time dealing with that figure, just because my brain doesn’t work as fast with that amount, so I go back to $.50 each. I can’t figure out if this is too cheap, but weighing it when I am very busy at the Market is so hard. This is for large, medium and small. I am going to try small squash with the blossoms on them this year, maybe at $1.00 each, does this sound right?

Last year, I started out selling my green beans at $5/lb, then went down to $4. I won’t go cheaper, as they are too much work for selling cheaper.  My shelling beans I sell for $5, unshelled. Shelled they will be more. Tomatoes will be $4 -$5 pound. Mine are heirloom. I have never known what to charge for hot peppers, so I sell my jalapenos for $.10 each and most of the rest of hot peppers at $.25 each, except for my poblanos, they are $.50 each.

Corn around here sells for $5 to $7 doz.

Sue

Vermont