market-farming - [Market-farming] baby spinach varieties

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joel Cahalan <joel AT chears.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] baby spinach varieties
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 14:00:12 -0400

Hello All,
I am trying to decide on a spinach variety or varieties to start planting in August  to harvest as baby from Sept through November and later if possible.  I need to get about 30 lbs a week and don't have a lot of space.  So far I am considering Renegade or Tarpy from High Mowing and Emu and Space from Johnnys(unfortunately these are not available as organic seed so may be hard to justify with certificd).  Anyone have experience with these or other varieties?  I am particularly interested in cultural practices people have had good success with and what yields to expect.  Also after harvesting with a knife for a while I am thinking about the sawblade basket Johnnies sells.  Anyone using one?  Does it work well? Problems?

So far I've been thinking Renegade has thicker leaves and would be higher yield weight wise per bed foot.

Thanks in advance for sharing...

Joel Cahalan
Wild Meadows Farm
Schellsburg, PA