market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 9

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brigette Leach" <afhg AT ctsmail.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 77, Issue 9
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 19:08:31 -0400

Apparently, not all of your post came through on my end...got just one paragraph w/o a picture.

If the post is what I think it is, I will just say that these stories attempting to draw a connection between GMO's and suicides of Indian farmers are an example of how far opponents will go. Common sense will tell us that there are likely many reasons or other reasons....suicide is a complicated matter no matter who's is involved. None of us really knows what goes on in another's mind. Are these farmers leaving suicide messages specifically naming GMO's?

In addition, consider that whether controversial issues are taken on via movies, books, newspaper, TV news programming, the internet or any other means, controversy sells. Publishers only publish books they are betting will sell, and in quantities that will be profitable for both the publishing company and the author. Same goes for movies....

Personally, I believe the internet is the best disseminator of misinformation the world has ever seen. It's the gossip grapevine intensified. Anyone can say and/or claim anything and yet know one is held accountable for the damage done to individuals, reputations, businesses, industries...

Outrageous claims are being made on the internet about GMO's that are so far fetched as to be ridiculous. Yet people who have no understanding of scientific principles, only a fear that their food may not be safe, see these claims and buy into them hook, line and sinker. No one is explaining things in reasonable terms so that people can understand the technology, the possible benefits, or that not all food is produced via GMO seed and then make up their minds. It's easier to stretch the truth than to educate.

Wouldn't if be better if we had civil conversations regarding the amount of research that has been done, and by whom (those will backgrounds in genetics, botany, plant science and the like rather than celebrities, movie producers or authors with an agenda), the accurate results of the research, and the potential to help feed the increasing world population? How about let's have conversations that move us toward solving problems and stop keep shouting over the top of each other how bad modern agriculture is?

As someone who has spent most of my adult life living and working on a farm, making my living from it, I can tell you that the conflicting messages form the consuming public get mighty frustrating. Not so many years ago, all the messages were that we should use less fertilizer and fewer pesticides, then came GMO seed and the same forces that wanted us to use less and fewer also didn't want us to use the seed, then came the whole global warming thing and we should use less fuel, everybody wants us to be "sustainable" ignoring the fact that being financially viable is part of being sustainable, and now other interests want to dictate how we conduct animal agriculture. Another news story this morning about the tax EPA wants to place on each farm animal, which I happen to think is less about methane gas and global warming than it is about inflicting a vegan lifestyle upon us all. All of this while being sure to keep food prices low for consumers. I won't say affordable for consumers because Americans spend less than 10% of their disposable income on food, so it's apparently affordable. Am I frustrated? You bet! At the rate we're going, plan on the bulk of your food coming from other countries in the not so distant future...then see how safe it is.

Sorry to rant...needed to blow off steam this afternoon.

Brigette Leach
Avalon Farms Homegrown
Share of the Farm