market-farming - [Market-farming] Hilling Early Potatoes Late

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Hilling Early Potatoes Late
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:05:25 -0400

It's been a crazy season here in the mid-Atlantic so far with more days lost to rain this season that I remember having ever happened before.

I'm WAY behind on most everything. For about a month now it's been too wet to hill the potatoes abd at $5 a bale, straw isn't an option.

I have the following varieties planted, probably 600 pounds of each:

Yukon
Kennebec
Red Pontiac
Red Norland
Russet
irish Cobbler
katcdin ("phonetic" spelling)

I'm going to try to find some mulch hay to cover the spuds this week.

The plants are tall and beautiful

All the seeds were planted shallowly.

IT's quite likely that if I don't get some hilling or covering done, I won't get many potatoes this year.

Most of these potates were in the ground by April 1

The Cobblers and Katcdin have nice big blooms on them right now.

Do you think I'll be wasting my time to try to mulch or hill the potatoes now?

Thanks

-Allan in WV