market-farming - [Market-farming] Stretches for Farmers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Emily Curtis-Murphy <emilydash AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Stretches for Farmers
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 11:17:33 -0400

Learning yoga doesn't require daily classes. Attending a yoga class
once a week or so is plenty to learn how to correctly do a series of
poses to practice on your own. Your yoga teacher will guide you in
modifying stretches to your growing flexibility, and teach you to be
aware of your body's limits and possibilities, so you can avoid injury
and use yoga to help heal problem areas.

As you become familiar with the motion and poses, you can do Farm Yoga
as you work! Weeding carrots and rutabagas have become some of my
favorite activities as I have learned to practice yoga as I move down
the rows. I move forward from one modified sun salutation pose to the
next as I speed through potentially tedious tasks. Farm Yoga is also
useful in rock picking, harvest of low growing greens, hand planting
transplants, and many other chores that require lots of movement and
handwork close to the ground. Farm yoga is very meditative, and I
find that work seems to fly by as my mind wanders or focuses on my
breathing. Any pose that brings your hands close to the ground may be
useful - be creative. As you become more flexible, upright forward
bends may be worked in. Sometimes I'll even do a kind of army crawl -
strenuous for the abs - while weeding. I have also thought up some
exercises that I can do on the tractor. Some members of the crew find
my antics entertaining, but they aren't laughing when I am happy and
refreshed at the end of the afternoon, and they are exhausted with
aching backs. I love teaching Farm Yoga as we work, and sharing its
benefits with others.

Emily
Vermont