market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Rutabaga

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Derek Galvin <dsgalvin AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Rutabaga
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 21:24:56 -0400

I've tried transplanting rutabagas and turnips several times.  My first impression was that it produced uglier vegetables with many more spindly roots.  The last time I tried I also direct seeded to be able to see the difference in growth time and appearance of them.  The transplants were ready only about a week sooner than the direct seeded plants.  I also found that the uglier roots didn't sell as well as the better looking, direct seeded.  In my experience it wasn't worth it but maybe I wasn't transplanting at the right time if others are having success with it.

Derek