market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] squash w/blossoms attached

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: bcluton AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] squash w/blossoms attached
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 09:30:22 -0400

Hi Liz,

We quit doing baby squash with blossoms a few years ago as we moved away from restaurants, etc. but they were pretty popular for us for a bit.  I've found Zephyr which is available through Johnny's to be good all around for us.  It worked nicely for baby squash because it tends to be about 3 -4 inches long prior to the blossom tip opening.  We found it critical to harvest prior to the blossom opening.  Zephyr also has good productivity and a nice disease package.  The alternative to Zephyr that we used to try was Black.  An old open pollinated zuke.  The productivity and disease resistance is not that great but the seed is really affordable.  We'd transplant Zephyr and direct seed Black spaced pretty closely.  Black would harvest well for a week or two and then we'd plow it down and be on to the next planting.  With the inexpensive seed so long as we had the space we found it economical (somewhat) to do it this way.

Good luck...

Brian