market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Public land leases..unwritten code among farmers???

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Bill Shoemaker <wshoemak AT illinois.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Public land leases..unwritten code among farmers???
  • Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 09:43:12 -0500 (CDT)

There are "unwritten" rules about land transfer, either leasing or
purchasing. None are legal, simply cultural or personal. It's sad but I think
it comes from the personal investment that comes from farming. It's hard to
let go! They may also think its unfair because you're growing high-value
crops and can afford to pay more than someone growing cash grain or forages.
I wouldn't let it bother me too much. They are suffering the consequences of
becoming more attached to the land than they had a right too. They did not
own it.

Bill