market-farming - [Market-farming] time saving

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Harriet Allen <hattie_allen AT yahoo.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] time saving
  • Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:24:28 -0800 (PST)

As to techniques...I have started to do everything that I can in the field.  that is, I try to think about how many times I handle things and cut that down wherever possible.

I sell basil in flower sleeves and tie the flower sleeves around my waist so that when I'm in the garden I sleeve them immediately and place into water.

I also try to wear the best clothes for the task.  Sometimes just a properly placed pocket for my flower clippers and an easy and fast way to access my rubber bands can make all the difference.  I've taken to wearing cargo shorts in the summer and I've got everything I need that way!

I have a friend who actually puts her flower bouquets together as she picks.  She plants filler across from her zinnias,etc. and quickly makes simple bouquets on the spot.  She takes a wagon and an umbrella to keep them out of the sun.

I walk back and forth way too much and that is just a matter of making an effort to be mentally organized as I work, and to have things where they need to be.  When I am really really busy and on a deadline, I find I am much better organized.

We have also started to bunch everything we can as we pick it. Beets, carrots, turnips, even greens....then wash them.  I find that bunching them with a loose rubber band works and then I can tighten the rubber band later after they have been washed, etc.

Having everything ready to go also seems to get me off to a better start.  I find it really helpful to take the extra time at the end of the day, even though I'm tired, to clean things up and leave them the way I want them for the next day.  It is a pleasure to start working when things are left in good shape.  And when I'm putting things away, etc. in the evening, it often gives me a chance to do some thinking about what I'll be doing the next day.  I often lower my stress level the next day by doing that and often can hit the ground running without forgetting anything I need to do.  It is just a good feeling to stop for the day with everything in order.  Really helps with my peace of mind for the evening and I think I sleep better.