market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] plastic mulch over johnson grass?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: cmillsap1 AT yahoo.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] plastic mulch over johnson grass?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2009 11:35:29 -0500

We have sown winter wheat as cover crop and simply let it go to seed and reestablish AND mechanical mowing.  Seems to work well with both Johnson Grass and Horse Weeds.  Then we disk lightly sow our pasture seed mix, mow the wheat prior to seeding and it seems to do quite well.

Our problem is that five years later its back.   We have a lot of property on flood plain and while most of it only sees a little flooding over a year some years are worse than others.  The weed seed bank is added to again.

So its repeat the process.  It works though, really well.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855