market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] small scale chisel questions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "David Inglis" <mhcsa AT verizon.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] small scale chisel questions
  • Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 21:00:39 -0500

Hey Jason,

I have a Yeoman Plow that I have been using for 20 years. On the ground I have now [ Copake Gravel Loam] it works great in combo with a light top pass with a tiller to get smooth even beds for small seeded crops and on its own for many other crops.

The Yeoman is not the same as a chisel; the action is different, so is the result. A yeoman is more expensive but for my system does a much better job of several different tasks with the exception of trash incorporation.

If you fabricate your own tool bar use 3/8th “ box steel not 1/4'”. Because the shanks are not sprung there is more torque on the frame. It’ll be a heap of welding.  Also, get the depth wheels and set them up to run in the tire tracks..

I can pull my three shanks set 15” apart on the frame and at full depth ie 15-18” with a 4 WD 25 HP Ford but rarely do. I have about 7 A under tillage set up in permanent beds on 5’ centers, the 3 shanks run in the beds only. Put the tool to work where the growing gets done, I say. If you are not working in permanent beds get a plow that covers the area from outside to outside tire width and drop the outside shanks for the initial tillage.

I use it a lot with a set of heel knives on each shank for rough stale bedding.

I use it in green manures which is the best way to build your soil in the long run. The shank will slip through the GM but if you have a lot of vineing top growth, like Vetch a coulter might be needed. The green manure will explode after this treatment especially if done prior to an irrigation or rain. This will amplify any subsoiling you do as the GM roots are right there to colonize the newly opened up ground.

It is a great tool for the redistribution of surface water as it was originally designed for this ie the Keyline soil development plan. That’s a big subject though.

A Yeoman has low HP requirements although with 80 Horses that’s not an issue for you. Figure 12 hp for the first shank and 8/shank after that; so that’s 60 HP for the 7 shank model.

When you start out you will use fewer shanks but as the soil develops at depth you will be able to pull more.

I attempt to use the Yeoman plow as a tool to create conditions that are optimal for soil life and have the soil life produce the tilth rather than prepare the tilth mechanically.

I am happy to answer questions.

Dave

Ps I have two questions for you.

  1. how many shares do you do on that acreage? and
  2. how on earth do you mulch six acres?

Dave Inglis

Mahaiwe Harvest C.S.A.

Berkshire County