market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 72, Issue 33

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 72, Issue 33
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 11:35:01 -0800 (PST)

>I'm trying to be grateful for all the snow mulch on the stateline between
Illinois
and Wisconsin. Really! snow mulch is good! Protects the plants from
these below
zero temperatures, sort of. I should just crawl in with them until
spring. How's
everbody else doing, weather wise?
Shawnee, zone 5 and a bit winter goofy

Totally winter goofy here! Shoveled my way out of record snow depths now
we're in deep freeze and everywhere that was plowed is an ice rink. The
woods have compacted down from 6 foot of powder to 2 feet of glacier...
but yes the walking onions and garlic should be joyous beneath...
the Egyptian walking onion are incredibly hardy here in the north.
They're called walking because they are top setters. The bulbs form on
the top of the plant in the Fall which then drop to the ground and set
root. I pull them early in the spring as green onions. Nice for the CSA
as some of the earliest veggies available.
May the sun shine on the photovoltaics
And the snow fall above 3500 feet.
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics zone 5
North Idaho