market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mcoldiron" <mcoldiron AT crcom.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Oats and Wheat
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:53:08 -0600

I just found a pretty good page on the different types of oats.
http://www.eatmoreoats.com/aboutoats.html
TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
West Texas Zone 7b

On 1/12/2009 12:44:27 PM, saladg AT aol.com wrote:
We raise both wheat and oats for livestock and for milling quality. When
we combine oats we usually run them through a fanning mill and clean them
of any foreign products, such as straw, weed seeds, and all the light oats,
(the long skinny ones) which leaves us just the plump grain. We roll our
oats for livestock feed and have really never sold any for food products.
The wheat we grow two varietys, red winter wheat, we plant in the fall
after Sept 30 and durum wheat which we plant in the spring for food
processing. The red wheat is a lot harder to process than the spring wheat.
To have wheat for processing I would use the soft spring wheat, the hulls
are easier to grind up. Once it is processed it will not keep very long,
so if you are trying to sell it I would sell the whole berries rather than
processed.

Phil from Iowa

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is making headlines [link:
news.aol.com?ncid=emlcntusnews00000002].