market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: <sunnfarm AT netscape.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Peat as animal bedding.
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 07:07:57 -0800

I quit chickens about 10 years ago but for 30 years I used shredded leaves,
mostly maple. I let them air dry then shread with mower, bag them into large
feed bags for storage. Leaves are the best forget the rest.
A 6" layer on a wood floored coop will instantly absorb poop, there is no
odor, disease and "NO FLIES".If you allow 2sq ft per bird a layer of leaves
will last 4 months, you can add a inch every now and then to boost it up, and
get a maximum of 6 months from the litter. Its time to clean out when you
smell a trace of ammonia. Chickens love digging and bathing in the leaves
which grind into a dust layer in two months... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.