market-farming - [Market-farming] Crop Planning / Seed Order

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Pam Twin Oaks" <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Crop Planning / Seed Order
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:35:50 -0500

Andrea - first try a cup of tea or a piece of chocolate!

Then from the total number of pounds of whatever needed, calculate how
many row feet or beds you need to plant. Then from there calculate the
seed needed. The catalogs often have numbers for seed needed per
100ft. Johnny's is usually clear. Try the website if you haven't got a
catalog. Where to find the likely yields per 100 ft of row? Maybe this
is in the catalog too. I got my info from an Extension Service leaflet
years ago.

Another idea is ATTRA <www.attra.ncat.org>. They have several great
publications, one on starting up in market farming, one on planning
continuous successions of crops. I think the info might be there.

Then have another cup of tea or piece of chocolate!

Good luck
Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, Va