market-farming - [Market-farming] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Subject: Eric Kindberg Dies in China

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT voyager.net>
  • To: ogII AT yahoogroups.com, SustainableAg AT yahoogroups.com, Farming Market <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fwd: [SANET-MG] Subject: Eric Kindberg Dies in China
  • Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 05:48:54 -0500

organics has lost a good man

Begin forwarded message:

Subject: Eric Kindberg Dies in China
From: steven sprinkel <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 18:51:22 -0800

Eric Kindberg has been a member of this discussion for over ten years, so I
thought I would let you all know that Eric Died in China last night of liver
and kidney failure after about a year with an ailment we are still not
certain about. Bile duct cancer has been suspected. I know he was jaundiced
and was describing a lot of symptoms that point to severe liver disease. I
thought he might have gotten it from contact with liver flukes-a widespread
parasite in that part of the world. Now all that is beside the point, except
for the fact that it serves as a lesson that quality Western medicine,
especially for diagnosis, is imperative.

I am so upset about this. He was a brilliant guy and an authentic organic
farmer. A crucial expert on organic standards and philosophy when it really
mattered in December of 1997.

Eric was on the way home to his family in California for Thanksgiving, but
turned terribly ill and could not continue his trip, eventually going from a
hotel to a good hospital in Guangzhou-but it wasn't Cedars Sinai. Then he
went into a coma and just went downhill from there. He was 66 but had the
energy and athleticism of a forty year old. A tragic paradox. Sorry to bear
this news to you.

Best wishes to all of you

Steve Sprinkel
farmerandcook.com
<><>\\\\\\\\

I am heartbroken about Eric. This is a real shock and a huge loss to the organic and sustainable farming community here in the US and obviously elsewhere around the world. Read these archives to see what a valuable role he has played
in in the biological farming movement for over twenty years. He was farmer advocate, farm implement designer andprototyper, political and industry activist and one of the most persistent and effective spokespersons and campaigners for organic farming anyone could hope for. In fact he went beyond what most have done and in a
tactful, considerate, cooperative way.

I worked for him on one of his conferences many years ago and resumed correspondence with him over the past year.

We will all feel the loss of Eric and I will surely miss him.

I suppose Douglas, Steve and I and many others who knew him will carry on in his stead in Sanet and elsewhere,
on and off line.

For the future,

Lawrence London
Chapel Hill, N.C., U.S.A.