market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Mobile strawberry picking platform

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Mobile strawberry picking platform
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 09:19:26 -0600

I also recommend the links in Andy's email below.

I have built several simple wooden carts based on the cart.htm plans in Andy's email. I replaced the seat shown on the webpage with a simple flat piece of plywood about 3 or 4 feet wide. We use these carts for harvesting lettuce, onions, beets, rutabagas and other veggies. The harvester can scoot along on the cart with a harvest crate laid on the seat next to them. The carts are very popular with our workers, and with me.

The motorized laydown carts described in the laydown.htm page are quire expensive. I have borrowed a Drangen motorized cart briefly and it was awesome. However we could not afford one. We have built a wooden non-motorized laydown cart. Pictures are here: http://www.twoonionfarm.com/Pictures/Laydown%20Cart.htm. The user pushes the cart with their feet or by reaching out with their hands to turn the front wheels. The cart straddles one bed - the cart in the pictures is approximately 5' OC between the wheels; we have since modified the cart to be 4' OC between the wheels because we switched to narrower beds. We use the cart for transplanting, planting garlic, and for handweeding young direct seeded vegetables such as carrots and beets. The cart has low clearance and so it is not suitable for working above larger plants. Also the user needs a place to put their toes down, i.e., in between the rows of plants. For transplanting, there is a shelf under the torso support which can hold trays of seedlings.

Chris