market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Cherry tomatoes splitting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Cherry tomatoes splitting
  • Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 11:23:36 -0400

On Sep 14, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Tom at Limerock wrote:

It always seems that at this time of year, our cherry tomatoes (both red and
orange) tend to split when picked. Any thoughts on why and how to
avoid/prevent this? Is it just us?

Uneven water supply will do this. Cherries seem to be worse for it than the bigger types.

If you have dry spells alternating with periods of wet weather, irrigate moderately through the dry spells if you can; then the plant will be better adjusted to water supply and may split less when it rains. (Of course, if too much rain arrives unexpectedly you'll then be even more oversaturated than if you hadn't irrigated. What I would give for a guaranteed accurate weather report . . . but not possible in this area of the country.)

Resistance to splitting varies drastically between varieties. Try Sweet Million (Veseys, Tomato Growers' Supply, Park Seed, Jung's) for a red and Lemon Drop (Seed Savers) for a yellow; I have no idea how they'd do for you, but they've been more crack resistant here than many others I've tried. Nice flavor here, too.

If you really get a lot of rain, in my experience nothing will help.