market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pesticide resistance

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pesticide resistance
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:52:39 -0400

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 22:44:19 -0500, Shawnee Flowerfarmer wrote:
>> That said, I discovered this morning that my rutabagas are history...
>>
>> --So....what happened to the rutabagas?  Come on...what's the rest of the
>> story?

Having had terrible problems with a striped cabbage caterpillar destroying my
big fat rutabagas last year, this year I kept them under row cover from
birth, and checked on them periodically until they were 6 inches tall or so,
then ignored them until yesterday. They are infested with aphids, which have
killed most of them and crippled the rest. I expect I excluded aphid
predators...so much for the complex ecosystem! No great loss, since these are
only in the kitchen garden, and I am not a huge rutabaga fan, but it does
seem terribly unfair nonetheless.

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/