market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Utilizing greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sharon and Steve" <shopkins AT tdstelme.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Utilizing greenhouse
  • Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2008 21:39:57 -0400

Anyone experienced at utilizing their heated?greenhouse during the winter for growing?? Realize that we use propane to heat, would need to grow a high$ crop to offset costs.? Thanks, Judy

When we were looking at the numbers several years ago, we were looking at tomatoes which we cannot ripen here past November due to lack of light. To add the light necessary for winter production we would have been heating electrically as heat is a big by-product of the lighting ballast. The only way that would come close to working would have been generate our own power (diesel) and capture the engine heat.

MAsteveINE