market-farming - [Market-farming] Japanese Beetles and Milky Spore disease

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Japanese Beetles and Milky Spore disease
  • Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 09:38:19 -0400

You can apply the Milky spore anytime during the season from what I understand.  It also helps to control moles because it kills the grubs they eat and they go elsewhere to find food, too bad it doesn't work on groundhogs as I have a problem with those guys at the moment.    To avoid taking up a lot of space here is a link to a FAQ with some further info.

www.milkyspore.com/milkysporefaq.htm

I'm not sure if the compost pile way is the best method as the spores live on and multiply by infecting grubs, which aren't in active compost piles.  It seems like a good way to save a step (and money) but it works faster if applied directly to a heavily infested area of larvae if you can identify it though in the long run it takes longer to spread.  I does spread pretty well but I need to inoculate 20 acres so to save money I plan to dilute the spores and be a little patient.  Those beetles are really eating up my Chinese chestnut trees though and I'm worried they might weaken them, making them suseptable to blight.  They eat everything but seem to favor those above about everything else around here for some reason.

Need cash? Click to get a cash advance.