market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Dressing ideas for bitter summer lettuce(?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Two Onion Farm <farmer AT twoonionfarm.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Dressing ideas for bitter summer lettuce(?)
  • Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:54:22 -0500

We have good luck germinating lettuce in summer by seeding the lettuce in flats and putting the flats in a cooler for 48 hours at about 70 degrees F. After 48 hours we put the flats in a cold frame in full sun. The lettuce has not actually emerged in 48 hours, but the seed has apparently overcome its dormancy and begun to germinate, because it emerges within several days of being put in the cold frame. This has worked with all lettuce varieties we have tried.

Chris

Chris & Juli McGuire
Two Onion Farm
www.twoonionfarm.com