market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Lettuce Mix for Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "skeebout" <skeebout AT bluegatefarmfresh.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Lettuce Mix for Market
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 06:55:13 -0500

Melissa-

We have had great success packaging our lettuce mix for market similar to how you are doing it. However to keep it at the highest quality possible at market we store our entire stock in large coolers with ice packs in the bottom, covered with a feed sack (paper, not poly). To address the marketing issue we put a large, attractive enamelware bowl of the salad on the table. The bowl has a “false bottom” of a form-fitting plastic container that is filled with water and frozen. A nice dish towel that matches the bowl separates the lettuce from direct contact with the frozen bowl below. Throughout the morning we mist our sample salad and because it is such a small amount, we can replace or add to it to “freshen” as needed. We use this method of display on all our temp. sensitive products and it works beautifully for us. We get lots of compliments on the appearance of our stand and we know that we are keeping the delicate produce at its best quality for our customers.

I know this is counter to the marketing idea of “overwhelm them with your bounty” but it works great for us.

Jill

Blue Gate Farm

<<I am looking for some feedback in order to gain insight and fresh ideas

concerning the packaging, and marketing of fresh leaf lettuce mix at farmers

markets…>>

Jill Beebout & Sean Skeehan

Blue Gate Farm

749 Wyoming St.

Chariton, IA  50049

641/203-0758

www.bluegatefarmfresh.com

  • Re: [Market-farming] Bagged Lettuce Mix for Market, skeebout, 07/01/2008